We acknowledge that in at this time’s world, safety leaders should increase their focus past applied sciences and their vulnerabilities. To successfully handle threat, safety leaders should frequently analyze the worldwide risk panorama and perceive how enterprise choices can affect their group’s risk profile. Equally, enterprise leaders require consciousness of their safety posture, threat publicity, and cyber-defense technique that may have an effect on enterprise operations.
By the “BlackBerry Global Threat Intelligence Report,” trendy leaders can have well timed entry to this essential data. Based mostly on the telemetry obtained from our personal synthetic intelligence (AI)-driven merchandise and analytical capabilities, and complemented by different private and non-private intelligence sources, our world BlackBerry Threat Research and Intelligence team supplies actionable intelligence about assaults, risk actors, and campaigns so that you could make well-informed choices and take immediate, efficient actions.
That is exactly what we’ve labored to distill into the concise quarterly report that I’m happy to launch publicly at this time. To create this new “International Menace Intelligence Report,” the group analyzed greater than 1.5 million stopped cyberattacks, occurring between Dec. 1, 2022, and Feb. 28, 2023. Under are among the highlights.
Key Report Highlights
- 90 days by the numbers: From December 2022 to February 2023, we noticed as much as 12 assaults per minute, and the variety of distinctive assaults utilizing new malware samples skyrocketed by 50%— from one per minute within the earlier report back to 1.5 per minute throughout this reporting interval.
- Prime 10 nations experiencing cyberattacks throughout this era: The US stays the nation with the very best variety of stopped assaults. Nevertheless, the risk panorama has modified, and Brazil has simply emerged because the second most-targeted nation, adopted by Canada and Japan. Singapore entered the highest 10 for the primary time.
- Most focused industries by variety of assaults: In keeping with BlackBerry telemetry, 60% of all malware-based cyberattacks focused clients within the monetary sector, healthcare providers, and meals and staples retailing industries.
- Most typical weapons: Droppers, downloaders, distant entry instruments (RATs), and ransomware have been most steadily used. Throughout the information assortment interval, BlackBerry noticed: a focused assault utilizing Warzone RAT towards a Taiwanese semiconductor producer; cybercriminal teams utilizing Agent Tesla and RedLine Infostealer; and widened use of BlackCat ransomware.
- Trade-specific assaults: The healthcare business confronted a big variety of cyberattacks throughout this intervals. Moreover, this report dives deep into assaults towards monetary establishments, authorities entities, manufacturing, and important infrastructure, key sectors which might be usually focused by refined and generally state-sponsored risk actors, participating in espionage and mental property campaigns. Nevertheless, as we reveal on this report, crimeware and commodity malware are additionally usually present in these essential industries
The report additionally covers notable risk actors and cyber weapons, most consequential assaults, and — most significantly — it additionally supplies actionable defensive countermeasures, within the type of MITRE ATT&CK® and MITRE D3FEND™ mappings deployed throughout this era. Lastly, we provide an evaluation of the forecasting accuracy of our earlier report, and a listing of insightful key takeaways primarily based on the occasions of the previous months.
We hope that you’ll worth all of the detailed and actionable information introduced on this new report. As soon as once more, I want to categorical my gratitude to the authors, the extremely expert world researchers on the BlackBerry Menace Analysis and Intelligence group. Their ongoing efforts to provide cutting-edge analysis empower us to repeatedly enhance BlackBerry’s data- and Cylance® AI-driven services.
To be taught extra, obtain the “Global Threat Intelligence Report.”
Concerning the Creator
Ismael Valenzuela is VP of Menace Analysis & Intelligence at BlackBerry, the place he leads risk analysis, intelligence, and defensive innovation. Ismael has participated as a safety skilled in initiatives throughout the globe for over 20+ years, and founding father of one of many first IT safety consultancies in Spain.
A cybersecurity professional with robust technical background and deep data of penetration testing, safety architectures, intrusion detection, and pc forensics. Ismael has supplied safety consultancy, and steering to giant authorities and personal organizations, together with main EU establishments and US authorities businesses.