Aqara are one of many first firms to start the rollout of the brand new Matter royalty-free house automation customary.
Matter is a brand new connectivity customary for IoT units to allow all kinds of sensible house equipment to work collectively throughout manufacturers and ecosystems. Through an M2 hub with this new firmware, the Aqara Zigbee units will have the ability to connect with the Matter-ready, third-party apps over Wi-Fi. However this firmware will not replace the Zigbee units to assist Thread.
At first, it’ll solely be the Aqara M2 Hub that can obtain the replace and the rollout seems to be incremental. Whenever you log in to the app, you’ll be given the choice to improve to the firmware model 4.0.0 (beta). Once I tried, it was solely V3.5 that’s obtainable.
It is estimated to take 4-6 weeks for all of the M2 hubs to obtain the firmware replace. Different Aqara hubs, together with the Hub M1S/M1S Gen 2, Hub E1, Digital camera Hub G3 and Digital camera Hub G2H Professional will obtain related firmware updates within the following months.
Aqara has offered a information to verify the improve goes as easily as doable:
Customers are strongly urged to verify the necessities rigorously earlier than continuing:
- Please make sure the Aqara Residence app is up-to-date (model 3.0.8 or greater), and related to one of many world servers outdoors Mainland China;
- Please bind at the very least 1 Zigbee machine to the M2 hub earlier than binding the M2 to any third-party platforms through Matter;
- Please make sure the M2 hub, the Matter controller units (e.g. HomePod mini, Nest Hubs, and so on.) and the cell phone with Matter-ready app are on the identical native community (similar SSID);
- If customers intend to bind the M2 hub to Apple Residence through Matter, please make sure the firmware model of Apple units (e.g. iPhone, HomePod mini) is up-to-date (model 16.3 or greater).
Please additionally be aware that binding current units to Matter will not require customers to reset all the things. Customers can hold utilizing HomeKit (advised), and join Aqara units to different system(s) through Matter.
Matter is a brand new customary, and Aqara is aware of that the Matter experiences of Aqara units nonetheless has a variety of limitations.
- At this stage, we now have 40+ Aqara units which are in a position to join with Matter through the M2 hub (please check with this list). And solely the worldwide variations of those units are assured to get Matter assist, because the Chinese language variations of a few of the units is probably not supported in the mean time.
- In case of connecting the units to Apple Residence through Matter, please be aware that it is extremely delicate to the Wi-Fi router high quality and sign. If the sign will not be sturdy sufficient, it’ll typically present “No response”.
- So as to add the units to Google Residence through Matter, customers have to have one among Google Residence or Nest units as a Matter controller (please check with this blog). Additionally, customers have to have an Android cellphone for the Matter-ready Google Residence app, as Google Residence on iOS units doesn’t assist Matter but.
- Amazon Alexa and Samsung SmartThings don’t assist Matter Bridge (akin to Hub M2) machine kind but, and can’t join the Zigbee units which are related to the M2 through Matter in the mean time.
- The brand new firmware is a BETA model, and it could has some bugs which can trigger sudden influence in some circumstances. If occurs, please attempt to unbind from Matter and re-add the hub to Matter app.